Welcome to the Fourth Annual
Fresh Coast Plein Air Paint the Landscape Festival
June 26 & 27, 2020
Presented under the auspices of Lake Superior Art Association, as part of the City of Marquette’s annual Art Week June 21-27 – a week-long celebration of the visual and performing arts. For a complete listing of Art Week events go to: http://www.marquette365.com, City of Marquette Arts and Culture Center (MACC) Facebook page, or call 906-228-0472
2020 Event Highlights:
- Over $2500.00 in cash awards – Two full days of painting:
- Paint all day Friday, including Friday evening’s special “Dusk to Dark” session
- Paint all day Saturday, followed by an evening reception and awards ceremony – Competition at 2 levels:
Level 1 – Professional & advanced painters
Level 2 – Novice, intermediate & recreational painters – On-line registration
Discounts available at area hotels. Request lodging info if interested.
Fresh Coast Plein Air Event Schedule:
Friday, June 26
- 7-9 am: Register and check in, pay registration fees, have your painting surfaces stamped. After registering you may paint anywhere within the area designated on the map in your registration packet. 7-10 pm. “Dusk to Dark” If you are registered for the Dusk to Dark competition, you may paint at any location within Presque Isle Park.
Saturday, June 27 – All Day Paint Session & Reception
- 7-9 am: Register and check in, pay registration fees, have your painting surfaces stamped. After registering you may paint anywhere within the area designated on the map in your registration packet.
- 7 am-4:30 pm: Time to paint!
- 3-4:30 pm: Completed paintings returned to the Pavilion. All paintings from both Friday and Saturday are turned in at this time.
- 4:30-6 pm: Judging. Only Fresh Coast Plein Air officials will be allowed inside the building during this time. When judging is completed, artists may enter to put out business cards and price their work.
- 6:15-8:30 pm: Reception
- 7 pm: Awards Presentation
- 7:45 pm: Peoples’ Choice voting closes 8:00 PM. Peoples’ Choice Award presented
Fresh Coast Plein Air Paint the Landscape Festival Rules of Competition
All artists are required to read, understand and comply with all rules. No exceptions will be made. Entries will be rejected if all rules are not observed.
Artists are required to check in at the registration desk at the Presque Isle Park Pavilion, 2 Peter White Drive in Presque Isle Park and have their painting surfaces stamped. If you are painting both days, you may have all your painting surfaces stamped on Friday and need not check in again on Saturday. If you are painting only on Saturday, you may check in either day.
Registration has 2 levels:
- Professional & advanced painters
- Novice, intermediate, and recreational painters
It is left up to the individual artist to “self-place” into one or the other; entry fee is higher for level 1, but so is the dollar value of awards. You are considered to be a professional if you show and sell work in a gallery or store or on-line or accept commissions.
Friday, “Dusk to Dark”, artists may paint anywhere within the boundaries of Presque Isle Park. Emphasis should be on capturing the late day light, sunset, etc.
Saturday, artists may paint at any Marquette city or shoreline location. (See map for designated painting area.)
Artists may begin working immediately after check-in. Work must be returned to the show/reception location at the Pavilion at Presque Isle Park no earlier than 3 pm and no later than 4:30 pm on Saturday, June 27.
- Must be 2-dimensional
- May be in any wet or dry medium except photography;
- Must be completed en plein air
- Must illustrate or be representative of the scene; abstract realism is acceptable but non-representational work will be rejected
- Must be signed on the back only for judging
- The competition is not juried for entries, but the Organizing Committee reserves the right to reject any painting deemed unsuitable.
- Number of entries:
One piece may be submitted for Dusk to Dark
(There will be an award for the Dusk to Dark winner and this painting will also be eligible for an award in the overall competition.)
Two additional pieces may be submitted from Friday’s and Saturday’s sessions.
Only surfaces stamped at check-in will be accepted for judging.
Entries must be signed on the back only for judging; artist may sign on the front after judging if desired. Work submitted for judging with front signature will be rejected unless signature can be covered.
Artists may frame pieces for judging if desired, but this is not required. Frames may be wired for hanging or displayed on table easels. Some tables and easels will be available for artists’ use and wire mesh display panels will be available for hanging.
Artists may place business cards and prices on their paintings after the completion of judging.
Sales may be made at any time during the festival. Prospective buyers should make arrangements with the artist and a Festival committee member.
No commission will be collected, but a voluntary donation by the artist of 10-15% (after discount, if applicable) would be gratefully accepted, to be used toward next year’s expenses and toward donations to LSAA, which provides support to local arts and culture organizations and events and a scholarship to an NMU art student. See a Fresh Coast official for details.
The Awards juror will judge entries for cash prizes, totaling at least $2,500.00, for Dusk to Dark, Friday and Saturday’s competition and a Peoples’ Choice Award.
Artists’ Reception on Saturday
Paintings must remain on display until the end of the reception and must be removed at the close of the reception. Artists are strongly encouraged to remain for the duration of the reception to meet and discuss their work with the public. If an artist is not able to remove work at the end of the reception, he/she is responsible for making arrangements with someone for their removal. The FCPA Committee, Marquette Arts and Culture and the City of Marquette will not be responsible for damage to/or loss of paintings left at the end of the reception.
Organizing committee members are permitted to compete and will be eligible for prizes. Juror of Awards: Lori Wallis Feldpausch
Registration & Fees
For Information and to Register:
ON-LINE REGISTRATION: https://bit.ly313eaEg – opens February 1, 2020; closes 12:00 noon, Thursday, June 25 2020.
- Friday, Dusk to Dark (for both levels):
Pre-Registered – $10
Day-of-Registration – $15
- Friday and Saturday, All Day
Competition at two levels: One is professional or advanced & the second is novice, intermediate, and recreational painters. (Self-place when registering, the entry fee and competition are at higher in Level 1, but the cash prizes are higher, too.)
- Level 1: Pre-registered – $25 day-of registration – $30
- Level 2: Pre-registered – $15 day-of registration – $20