Bonifas Encourages Artists to Enter Annual Membership Show
ESCANABA – Artists are encouraged to enter their art in the annual Bonifas Arts Center (BAC) Membership Show. This year, the show will run from June 7- July 5, 2018, with an Opening Gallery Reception on June 7 from 7-9 p.m. with awards at 8 p.m.
The BAC Membership Show is:
- Open to all artists age 18 or older who are current members of the Bonifas Arts Center.
- Applications: http://www.bonifasarts.org/for-artists/
- All work must be the artists’ own design and original in concept and execution and not previously exhibited in the Bonifas Arts Center Gallery.
- Only original works may be submitted.
- Works in any medium, traditional or experimental, qualify for entry.
- There are no size limitations. All works on exhibition will be insured while on the premises.
- All artwork must be brought in to the Bonifas during the following dates:
* Tues, May 29 – Sat, June 2
* During Bonifas hours:
Tues, Wed, and Fri from 10 am-5:30 pm
Thurs from 10 am-8 pm
Sat from 10 am-3 pm.
- A $15 nonrefundable entry fee for up to two entries will be due at the time of drop-off.
- (Diptychs and triptychs count as one entry.)
- Art can be picked up on July 6 and 7.
- Contact Information: Call the Bonifas at (906) 786-3833 or
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This year’s awards are as follows:
* First Place award: $250
* Second place: $150
* Two Honorable Mentions: $50 each.
* Featured Artist Award: Receives a solo show (NEW – read below)
* Escanaba & Gladstone City Hall Awards: Displayed in Escanaba City Hall
* Barb Symon Scholarship: $200 toward art classes (read below) – MUST APPLY
The Featured Artist Award gives the winning artist the experience of a solo show, more visibility and potential sales opportunities. The solo show will be Aug 3 – Sept 6 in The Studio Gallery of The Bonifas. This is the ideal opportunity for the artist with a body of work, to reach new audiences and gain valuable exposure.
Other awards include the Escanaba and Gladstone City Hall Awards in which selected artwork will be on display at the City Hall.
Finally, the winner of the Barb Symon Scholarship will be awarded at the Opening Reception on June 7 as well. Applications for the Barb Symon Scholarship will be accepted from April 2 through May 22. This $200 scholarship is offered to encourage further study in an artists’ field of arts or crafts through workshops or classes. The scholarship form is available online at www.bonifasarts.org and at the Bonifas front desk.
Bonifas Regional Projects and Gallery Director Pasqua Warstler says she and the rest of the Bonifas staff are anticipating a successful show. “We are looking forward to this year’s Bonifas Membership Show, and expect it to be successful and well-received by the community as past years’ shows. We encourage our member artists to enter their work and to connect to their fellow artists for encouragement and to share ideas.”
Gallery exhibits are sponsored in part by National Endowment for the Arts, The Addison Foundation, with patronage from The City of Escanaba, along with Bonifas members.
(Original information written by and sent by Victoria LaFave,
writer for Bonifas Art Center)